In order to obtain this certificate, crew members will need to pass theoretical and practical tests demonstrating;
- A general knowledge of radio communications within the Maritime Mobile Service.
- A detailed practical knowledge of the VHF and MF/HF radio installation and the use of this equipment in practice.
- The purpose and use of Digital Selective Calling, (DSC), facilities.
- A knowledge of the operational procedures of the GMDSS.
- A knowledge of the practical operation of the GMDSS sub-systems and equipment, (as appropriate to 'nonsolas'vessels). Including;
- The Distress, Urgency and Safety communication procedures used in the GMDSS.
- The protection of Distress frequencies.
- The Maritime Safety Information, (MSI), systems used in the GMDSS.
- The Alerting and Locating signals used in the GMDSS.
A knowledge of the regulations, obligatory procedures and practices used in Radiotelephone communications.